At the Southport Parks & Recreation Department, we work hard to make sure that Southport’s children, teens, and seniors are offered age-appropriate activities that are fully supervised by our trained staff.
CITY OF SOUTHPORT PARKS & RECREATION AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM
Ages: Kindergarten through 4th GRADE
Description: Staff members provide transportation for children from the Parks & Rec facility to school, and pick children up after school.
Children come in after school and get a snack and start on their homework. On Teachers Work Days we have the children all day for planned field trips or other fun activities.
Schedule: Before school starting at 7:00 am, After School until 5:00 pm
Cost: $50/Week OR $150.00/Month
Campers will receive one camp t-shirt to wear on Teacher Work Days and trips.
YOUTH BASKETBALL PROGRAM
Ages: 5 to 16 years
Game nights are Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday nights. Coaches pick practice days around this schedule. Games usually begin at 5:30 pm and all games are held in the City Gym.
Cost: The cost per child is $50 for Residents and $60 for non-Residents. We do offer open gym from 5:00 pm-9:00 pm which is free every day unless posted otherwise.
YOUTH SUMMER PROGRAM
When school gets out for Summer break, we offer field trips and fun activities for the kids such as Jungle Rapids, Bowling Skating, and more.
Summer Hours: 7:00am – 5:00pm
Cost: $95 per week for Residents and $105 for non-Residents.
For more information on Parks & Recreation Programs call: Maureen Moore at 910-279-3331 OR 910-457-7945
Southport Parks & Recreation’s FRESH START PROGRAM
Please note that exercise classes at the Jaycee Building have been suspended due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Description: Low impact aerobics, cardio, and training with light weights
Class Schedule: Tuesday 5 pm – 6 pm, Friday 9 am – 10 am
Location: JayCee Building, 309 Fodale Avenue
Cost: $4 per day or $28 per month
For more information call Tiffany at 910-442-6104
Dance your way into your best health ever!
Class Schedule: Mondays and Thursdays from 6:00 pm-8:00 pm
Location: Jaycee Building, 309 Fodale Avenue
Cost: $40 per month (free T-shirt included). Your first class is free!
For more information call: 910-457-7945
Location: The Senior Building where these activities take place is at 311 Fodale Avenue behind the Jaycee Building.
Schedule: Exercise on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 9 am. (Call to confirm schedule due to COVID-19 restrictions.)
On the second Monday of each month, Donna Michaux comes at 10:00 am to the Senior Building and does a craft with the seniors. There is no cost unless there is a special event going on for that day.
On the second Wednesday of each month, there is a Luncheon at 12:00 pm. Everyone brings a dish to share with the group.
The City of Southport Parks & Recreation department holds several fun programs throughout the year for the community to enjoy!
- Movies on the LawnWhat’s better than sitting under the stars on the Garrison Lawn as the beautiful Cape River River flows by?
WATCHING A GREAT MOVIE AT THE SAME TIME!!
Grab your chair or blanket and join us for a FREE monthly movie on the Garrison Lawn at Ft. Johnston! These family-friendly movies are brought to you by the Southport Parks & Rec department.
Movies begin at dusk. Free.
June 11th – Dr. Dolittle
July 9th – Trolls World Tour
August 13th – Toy Story 4
October 8th – The Adams Family
December 9th– Polar Express
- Easter Craft Goodie BagsThe Easter Bunny always makes sure that the Southport Parks & Rec department is well stocked with special holiday bags, full of goodies and craft projects!
When: TBD April 2022
Location: Parks & Recreation Building, 209 Atlantic Avenue
Cost: Free. Reserve your Easter crafting bag (choice of youth or senior) by calling 910-457-7945.
- Southport Summer ConcertsThe Southport Summer Concert Series is held at beautiful Franklin Square Park! Bring your blanket or chair and enjoy an evening of music at this lovely historic location.
When: Concerts are held on Thursday evenings from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. June through September, with the exception of July 1st.
Location: Franklin Square Park
- Children’s Crab DerbyThe Annual Children’s Crab Derby, hosted by the City of Southport’s Parks & Recreation Department, is a free family fun event!
The Crab Derby (catch & release) is held at the recently restored Southport City Dock. After significant damage from Hurricane Matthew, the dock had been closed to the public until its long-awaited repair and grand re-opening in the Spring of 2021.
Many community members who grew up enjoying the Southport Crab Derby as a highlight of their summer activities can now bring their children to participate in this fun event.
When: Labor Day Weekend
Location: Southport City Dock
- Captain Charlie‘s Children’s Fishing TournamentThe Annual Captain Charlie’s Children’s Fishing Tournament is a Southport tradition! Held at the iconic Southport Fishing Pier, kids enjoy casting a line on the beautiful Cape Fear River.
Where: Southport Fishing Pier, 178 E Bay St.
- Christmas Craft Goodie BagsGrab a fun, festive holiday bag filled with crafts to keep you busy and entertained for the holidays! Kids of all ages will enjoy this!
When: TBD – December 2021
Location: Santa’s Workshop (the Southport Parks and Recreation Building) at 209 Atlantic Ave.
Cost: Free. Reserve your Christmas crafting bag (choice of youth or senior) by calling 910-457-7945.
The following is a listing of public parks in Southport. These facilities may be rented for private functions through the Parks & Recreation Department.
All city parks are open from dawn to dusk.
- Alvin C. Caviness ParkThis 3/4 acre park contains one full and one half-court basketball arena and children’s playground equipment, as well as a picnic shelter, and stage.
Located on West Owens Street between North Caswell Avenue and Clarendon Avenue.
Rental Cost: $ 75 for Residents $100 for non-Residents.
- Franklin Square ParkThis 1-acre park’s main attraction is its large gazebo and stage, used primarily for plays and concerts.
Located on the corner of N. Howe Street and West Street.
Seating: Benches, picnic table
Rental Cost: $125 Residents $150 non-Residents
- Keziah ParkBest known for its 800-year-old Indian Trail Tree, this 1/2 acre park also has a gazebo.
Located on the corner of W. Moore & Lord Streets.
Seating: Benches, picnic table, gazebo
Rental Cost: $ 75 for Residents $100 for non-Residents
- Kingsley Street ParkKingsley is a passive park with a dock extending out into the Intracoastal waterway with views of the Cape Fear River and islands.
Located on the corner of Kingsley and East Bay Streets.
- Lowe-White Memorial ParkLowe-White Park is our largest and most varied city park. It has 2 tennis courts, 1/2 basketball court, restrooms, hiking trails, playground equipment, and plenty of room for picnics and other gatherings.
Located on East Leonard Street.
Rental Cost: $125 Residents $150 non-Residents
- Salt Marsh BoardwalkThis long boardwalk begins along Brunswick Avenue on the edges of the busy downtown and ends, essentially, in the middle of nowhere, with incredible views of the Cape Fear River, Elizabeth River, and miles of the waterfront.
Located on Brunswick Avenue
- Waterfront ParkWaterfront Park overlooks the Cape Fear River and is equipped with a public fishing pier, sheltered picnic tables, water fountains, lights, and walkways.
Located on Bay Street between Howe and Davis Streets.
Seating: Benches, swings, and picnic table under the gazebo.
For rental information and reservations for Parks, please contact Heather Hemphill at (910) 457-7810.