Utility Billing Information

Utility Service and Billing Information

  • Utility bills are mailed out at the end of each month.
  • A bill is past due if not paid by 5 p.m. on the 15th of the month – unless the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, then it is due on the next business day.
  • A late notice will be mailed to customers with past due bills on the 16th of each month – unless the 16th falls on the weekend or holiday, then the late notice will be mailed on the next business day.
  • A delinquent fee of $35 is automatically added to the bill after the 25th. The past-due bill and all fees must be paid before service is reconnected (See Utility Fees & Deposits).  NOTE: A delinquent fee of $70 will be added for sewer customers with county-provided water.
  •  An additional fee of $50.00 will be charged to all customers who request water service reconnection after 3:30  PM.
  • Customers who feel their bill is in error or otherwise have reason to protest the termination of utility service may contact the Finance Office Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:30 am. and 5 p.m. at (910)457-7900 Option 1.
  • Billing Adjustments: If the City has inadvertently overcharged or undercharged a customer for utility service, the City will promptly notify the customer.
  • Water & Sewer Adjustments: In the case where a leak takes place on the customer’s side of the meter that results in water not being discharged into the sanitary sewer, the customer may apply for an adjustment on sewer charges by presenting the City a note from a licensed plumber stating the leak had been fixed and the water did not flow into the sewer.
  • If service is turned off and reconnection is requested in the same name or immediate family member name within 11 months, the base rate plus reconnection fee will be charged.
  • After Hours Payment Drop Box: For customer convenience, a blue payment drop box is on 11th Street, next to the entrance to City Hall.  A check and billing stub may be deposited in the box. Please do not deposit cash in the after-hours depository. Payments put in the box after 10:00 a.m. will be considered next-day payments.
  • Meter Tampering is Against the Law! Do not turn on or deface your utility meter. North Carolina state law allows the utility provider, the City of Southport, to prosecute in a court of law for meter tampering. The City Board’s adopted penalty for meter tampering is a $250.00 fine. Contact the finance department at 1029 N Howe Street, 910-457-7900, immediately if your meter has been turned off or removed.
  • Damage to Water Meter: The customer will be responsible for the cost to replace or repair a damaged water meter.

The City’s Response to Returned Checks

  • The city will accept only cash, certified check,s or money order from any customer having 2 insufficient funds (bad) checks within any 1 year period.
  • Upon receipt of the 2nd returned check, the customer will be advised that ALL bills must be paid in cash, certified check, or money order for the next year.
  • After the 1 year period ends, if another insufficient funds check is received all future bills must be paid in cash.
  • As allowed by the State of North Carolina, a $35 charge is added to the customer’s bill for each returned check. (See Utility Fees & Deposits)

Extension of Time for Payment of Bills

  • Extension requests must be made no later than 5 p.m. on the 25th by the customer or are subject to disconnection.
  • The customer requesting the extension must come in or call the Finance Office at City Hall.
  • No more than 3 extension agreements will be granted in a 12-month period.

If payment is not made as stated in the Payment Extension Agreement, service will be disconnected without further notice, and all payments, including any disconnect and reconnect fees must be paid before service is restored.

Optional Customer Assistance: Customers being assisted by the Brunswick County Department of Social Services, Brunswick Family Assistance, or other local crisis intervention centers are exceptions to this policy.

Difficulty in Paying Bill: The following organizations may be able to offer assistance to customers who are having difficulty paying their bills.

Brunswick Family Assistance Agency
4600-10 Main St Suite
Shallotte, NC 28459
(910) 754-4766
Every Wednesday from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. @ Trinity
United Methodist Church of Southport

Social Services
Brunswick County Government Complex, Bolivia, NC 28422
Southport Number: (910) 457-6227
Bolivia Number: (910) 253-2077

Local Community Churches

The City of Southport encourages each customer to seek assistance with paying their utility bill prior to disconnection of service.

Neighbors 4 Neighbors

Are you having trouble paying your utility bill?  You spoke and your Board of Aldermen listened!  The Board has established a new program, Neighbors 4 Neighbors, to assist residents struggling to pay sewer bills.

If a customer wants to sign up for Neighbors 4 Neighbors, they need to call Brunswick Family Assistance (BFA) 910-754-4766, Ext 6 for financial assistance.  They will need to have their income and expense information readily available and the application is completed over the phone.  Once approved, residents simply call BFA each month to notify them that the assistance is still needed and the $20 assistance will be provided again.

For more details call our office at 910-457-7900, option 1.

Or, if you would like to donate to the program to help us assist more residents, please click on the button below or call us.  You can make a one-time donation or a monthly pledge.  Every dollar will make a difference!