Utility Service and Billing Information
The City’s Response to Returned Checks
- The city will accept only cash, certified check or money order from any customer having 2 insufficient funds (bad) checks within any 1 year period.
- Upon receipt of the 2nd returned check, the customer will be advised that ALL bills must be paid in cash, certified check, or money order for the next year.
- After the 1 year period ends, if another insufficient funds check is received all future bills must be paid in cash.
- As allowed by the State of North Carolina, a $35 charge is added to the customer’s bill for each returned check. (See Utility Fees & Deposits)
Extension of Time for Payment of Bills
- Extension requests must be made no later than 5 p.m. on the 25th by the customer or are subject to disconnection.
- The customer requesting the extension must come in or call the Finance Office at City Hall.
- No more than 3 extension agreements will be granted in a 12-month period.
If payment is not made as stated in the Payment Extension Agreement, service will be disconnected without further notice and all payments, including any disconnect and reconnect fees must be paid before service is restored.
Optional Customer Assistance: Customers being assisted by the Brunswick County Department of Social Services, Brunswick Family Assistance, or other local crisis intervention centers are exceptions to this policy.
Difficulty in Paying Bill: The following organizations may be able to offer assistance to customers who are having difficulty paying their bill.
Brunswick Family Assistance Agency
4600-10 Main St Suite
Shallotte, NC 28459
Every Wednesday from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. @ Trinity
United Methodist Church of Southport
Brunswick County Government Complex, Bolivia, NC 28422
Southport Number: (910) 457-6227
Bolivia Number: (910) 253-2077
Local Community Churches
The City of Southport encourages each customer to seek assistance with paying their utility bill prior to disconnection of service.