Good afternoon, Southport! Following is the latest briefing from the NWS on severe weather as well as information on facility closures in Southport:
• Confidence is increasing that the area will see freezing rain followed by a period of light snow/sleet.
• The most significant impacts are expected where we have an Ice Storm Warning: Horry, Columbus, Brunswick, Bladen, New Hanover, and Pender.
• However, some impacts from wintry precipitation are expected for our entire area.
• Wintry precipitation is expected to begin Friday morning and continue through Friday night before tapering off into Saturday morning.
• Downed trees, power outages, and hazardous travel are expected. Arctic air behind the front could lead to prolonged impacts, especially for those without power.
• All City offices will be closed tomorrow, Friday, Jan. 21st. This includes Southport Visitors’ Center.
Emergency Contact Info:
Fire or Police Emergencies – Please call 911
Public Services Emergencies – Please call 910-457-7935
- The Southport ABC Store will be closed on Friday and Saturday.
- Brunswick County schools will be closed.
- Click here for Dosher Hospital Service Updates
Be Prepared! Emergency Preparedness Information: As you prepare for severe weather, click here to take a look at the helpful emergency resource on the City website.
From Animal Protected Services: Don’t forget your pets! Bring your outdoor pets inside if possible! If they must stay outside, please be sure that they have adequate shelter and plenty of bedding.
The Mayor urges everyone to stay safe and stay home, if possible. If you must leave your home, please be cautious.
As always, stay tuned to trusted weather services for updates.