1029 N. Howe Street
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)
Beat the Grease Goblin!
Did you know that most sanitary sewer backups occur between your home and the town’s sewer main? You can help prevent a costly and unsanitary overflow by following a few simple steps.
- Scrape excess grease in a container and dispose of in the garbage.
- Place food scraps in waste containers or garbage bags for disposal with solid wastes, or start a compost pile; promote use of scraping ware prior to washing.
- Place a wastebasket in the bathroom to dispose of solid wastes. Disposable diapers, condoms and personal hygiene products do not belong in the sewer system.
- Promote the concept of “3 R’s”: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
- Pour grease, fats and oils from cooking down the drain.
- Use the toilet as a wastebasket.
- Use the sewer as a means of disposing food scraps.
Municipal Sewer Use Ordinance
Each year there are more than 15,000 sewer overflows in North Carolina. Many of these overflows are directly related to the improper disposal of oil and grease in kitchen drains. Grease congeals on sewer pipes, which causes wastewater to flow back into homes and businesses or directly into waterways.
Discharging oil and grease into municipal sewer pipes is 100% preventable. For further information on Southport’s municipal sewer use ordinance, contact David Fox at (910) 457-7958 or (910) 457-7935. You can make a difference!
NOTICE FOR REQUIREMENT OF BACKFLOW PREVENTION DEVICE
All irrigation meters in the City of Southport are required to have a backflow prevention device. This device is designed to ensure potable water provided by the City remains safe throughout the water distribution system.
New irrigation meters (and existing irrigation meters that have been removed or turned off) should follow the following procedures.
If a new meter is requested for irrigation, the customer will need to contact the City of Southport to request an irrigation tap.
Once the irrigation tap is installed by the City of Southport, the customer will then contact a plumber to install the backflow prevention device. Once the device is installed, the customer will notify the City of Southport and the device will be inspected by a County certified inspector (at the City’s cost). Once the inspection is complete and the device is approved, the county will send results to the City and the City will install the irrigation meter.
After the meter is installed, the customer must have the backflow prevention device tested for proper operation by a 3rd party certified backflow tester prior to using the meter. The cost for this testing is the responsibility of the customer. When this testing is complete, the report should be forwarded to the City by the customer. Once the report is received indicating the device passed testing, the water will be turned on by Public Works Department.
All backflow prevention devices are required to be re-tested annually by a third party.
Please note these measures are not only required by the City, they are in place to ensure the safety of our water supply.
Local Certified Backflow Testers
- Brunswick Plumbing – Southport NC – 910.457.1709
- Sunny Wright – Brunswick Co – 910.880.4178
- Hughes Plumbing – Ocean Isle – 910.575.3217
- Reeves Plumbing – Ocean Isle – 910.579.2946
- Winnabow Plumbing – Southport – 910.253.4184
- Michael Thompson – Southport – 910.454.9978
- J. Rodriguez – Wilmington – 910.264.1357
New Services, Billing and Rates | Tel: (910) 457-7900
Public Services Director
David Fox | Tel: (910) 457-7935
Assistant Public Services Director
Tom Stanley | Tel: (910) 457-7935
Department Administrative Assistant
Jackie Smith | Tel: (910) 457-7935
Water Distribution ORC
Tom Stanley | Tel: (910) 457-7935
Drinking Water Quality
Wastewater Collection System
City of Southport Contacts
Emergency: Police, Fire and Rescue DIAL 9-1-1
Police: (910) 457-7911
Fire: (910) 457-7915
City Information: (910) 457-7900
Address: Southport City Hall, 1029 N. Howe Street, Southport, NC 28461
Hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (City observes State holidays)
Fort Johnston-Southport Museum & Visitors’ Center
Monday – Saturday: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sunday: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Seasonally)
For more information: (910) 457-7927
Address: 203 E. Bay Street, Southport, NC 28461
Photo Credit: John Muuss, John Muuss Photographic Artist, Inc.
City of Southport NC
Find us on Facebook
Find us on Twitter
- Yacht Basin Overlay District Committee MeetingNovember 25, 2020 - 11:29 am
- INCREASING FACE COVERING REQUIREMENTS TO PREVENT THE RAPID SPREAD OF COVID-19November 25, 2020 - 9:50 am
- Southport Board of Aldermen – December 11, 2020 Special MeetingNovember 23, 2020 - 4:27 pm
- Howe Street Sewer Line Work UPDATENovember 16, 2020 - 8:16 am
- Blueprint Brunswick – Comprehensive Land Use & Parks and Recreation PlansNovember 12, 2020 - 8:33 am