Jan 28. 2021 – HOWE STREET CONSTRUCTION DETOUR AND ROAD CLOSURE UPDATE
• S. Howe St. is currently closed to all vehicular traffic, as is the intersection of Howe & Moore St.’s. The intersection is closed to traffic in all directions.
• As an added safety measure, a Southport PD vehicle with flashing blue lights will be posted at this intersection.
• Sidewalks are open for foot traffic and businesses remain open.
• Parking remains open in the construction zone with the exception of S. Howe St. from Bay St. to Moore St.
• Traffic traveling from E. Moore St. will continue to use the same detour route as previous weeks.
• Traffic traveling down Howe St. to the waterfront will be detoured down E. Nash St. to Rhett St. then to E. Moore St.
• There are “road closed” signs at the intersection of W. Moore & Lord St. but the block is still open for parking, as well as E. Moore St. parking and businesses.
• Bay St. will remain fully open to all traffic through Sunday. Beginning Monday, Bay St. between S. Lord and Atlantic Ave. will be one way traffic. There will be no right turns onto Bay St. from S. Atlantic, S. Davis and I AM St.’s. Those roads will only be left hand turns. Traffic from S. Lord St. will be able to turn left or right. Associated signage will be set in place Monday morning.
• The duration of the roadwork in this area will be determined by a) weather conditions, and b) the condition of the infrastructure beneath the street as it is unearthed.
A map of the updated detour will be provided as soon as it becomes available.
Help keep our community safe. Please slow down in construction areas.
We realize that this is an inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work on the replacement of our 1913 sewer infrastructure. The goal of the sewer project is to complete the work now, in order to avoid critical failure of the system in the future.