Employment Opportunity: Part-Time Engineer
Southport is a city in Brunswick County, North Carolina with a population of 4,124. It is located at the mouth of the Cape Fear River and is one of the more unique, historic, and quaint towns of the Brunswick Beaches community.
Under the general direction of the City Manager plans, directs, organizes, and performs professional engineering and land surveying work and administrative work in the inspection, design, construction, and improvement of public works projects and facilities. Provides staff assistance, engineering, and technical consultation to City departments, Boards, and Commissions as assigned.
Examples of Duties
- Oversees and performs engineering, surveying, and inspection work in the design, review, and construction of public works improvements including streets, buildings, recreational facilities, and sewer and drainage systems.
- Directs the operations of the department through civil engineering and survey staff and administers the design of engineering projects, the review of engineering plans, the drafting of specifications and cost estimates, the inspection of engineering projects under construction, and the provision of technical assistance.
- Supervises, reviews, and performs professional engineering design work for projects as required, and signs engineering designs as a professional engineer.
- Conducts the technical review of subdivision, commercial and industrial development plans to ensure compliance with City standards and safety requirements from a civil engineering perspective and makes recommendations on them to Boards and Commissions.
- Coordinates department activities with other Town departments and outside contractors.
- Supervises construction contracts for public works projects and annual repair programs; oversees consultant engineers and authorizes payment for services. Monitors construction activity of public improvements by private developers.
- Reviews and makes change orders as required. Recommends acceptance of work by private contractors upon completion of specified tasks and authorizes payment for services.
- Confers with and provides information to engineers, contractors, and the public about the design and construction of proposed public works projects. Provides professional engineering advice to Town departments and officials as required and investigates and responds to citizen complaints
- Prepares and presents complex technical and narrative reports in oral and/or written form.
- Coordinates and administers special municipal projects as assigned.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Receives and investigates citizen complaints and takes appropriate follow-up action.
- Performs related work as required.
The qualifications required would generally be acquired with a bachelor’s degree in Engineering and six years of progressively responsible work in civil engineering; OR an equivalent combination of experience and training.
Current State of NC License as a Professional Engineer.
Valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s License
Experience in a municipal engineering department is desirable.
Interested candidates must submit by email a City of Southport application, cover letter, and resume along with at least five job-related references (with email and phone numbers) as well as salary expectation no later than January 16, 2023, to [email protected]
The City of Southport is an Equal Opportunity Employer.