Administrative Assistant (Full Time) – Department of Tourism & Communications
The City of Southport will be taking applications for an Administrative Assistant for the Tourism and Communications Department through June 11, 2021. This position performs specialized administrative, marketing, and technology work for the City; coordinating the Southport Community Building; assisting communications, marketing, and Visitors’ Center administration.
General Statement of Duties
Performs specialized administrative, marketing, and technology work for the City; coordinating the Southport Community Building; assisting communications, marketing, and Visitors’ Center administration, as well as other duties as assigned.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class is responsible for varied administrative, technology, marketing, and coordinative functions in support of communications and tourism development and the daily operations of the Southport Community Building.
Work includes overseeing the Southport Community Building; participation in marketing planning, design, and execution of a variety of communications for the City; assisting the visitor center volunteers; and back-up for the City’s website and social media platforms. Work requires strong effective interpersonal communication skills, sound judgment and initiative, creativity, and problem-solving skills. Knowledge of the Tourism and Communications department’s activities and functions is required. Advanced office technology knowledge and skill is also required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Director of Tourism and Communications and is evaluated through observation, conferences, feedback, and the quality and effectiveness of work.
DUTIES AND TASKS
Community Building Duties:
- Scheduling of Community Building (includes calendar maintenance)
- Community Building phone coverage
- Facility Tours
- Facility contracts and payments
- Scheduling and management of event support staff (facilitators and cleaning/set-up)
- Coordination of city janitorial staff
- A/V assistance, including back-up for streaming BOA and other city meetings (Boxcast)
- Procedural documentation creation and maintenance for facility
- Responsible for reporting building maintenance needs to Director
- Marketing/Promotion of Community Building and Events
- Maintain list of providers for various event needs (catering, rentals, etc.)
- Inventory control for facility supplies
Marketing and Communications Administrative Support
- Assist with campaign branding and implementation, including coordination of graphics and themes across all printed materials.
- Develop Printed Materials: Brochures, Print Ads, Rack Cards, Maps (Canva)
- Social Media – Basic posts such as meeting notices. Back-up as needed (Hootsuite)
- Web posts – Basic posts such as meeting notices and departmental data updates. Additional back-up as needed (WordPress)
- Assist with press release creation and distribution.
- Eventual content development for new Explore Southport website, working with Assistant Communication Director to develop site and content.
- Back-up for SOUTHPORT CONNECTED! Notifications and file maintenance (CodeRED)
- Administrative organization of video files, photos, documents for efficient sharing. Archiving files as needed.
- Proactive research and solution recommendations
Ft. Johnston Visitor Center Administrative Support
- Open and close building
- Volunteer support – finding subs as necessary, answering questions, cash register issues.
- Primary Phone coverage for the Ft. Johnston/Southport Museum and Visitors’ Center
- Scheduling and maintaining calendar for Indian Trail Meeting Hall
- Monitor displays in Visitor Displays and report necessary maintenance.
- Manage event bulletin board and brochure kiosks.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Knowledge, experience, and skill in office administrative procedures, computer software applications and general customer service practices. Knowledge of Office 365, WordPress, Canva, Hootsuite, CodeRed, and Boxcast highly recommended.
Work requires strong effective interpersonal communication skills, sound judgment and initiative, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
Ability to balance priorities.
Knowledge of the Tourism and Communication department’s activities and functions, area attractions, restaurants, accommodations, events, functions, etc. is recommended.
Knowledge of website processes.
Skills in handling problem situations in firm, tactful and courteous manner with visitors and telephone callers.
Experience and skill in planning and implementing programs and events.
Knowledge of facility safety and security issues related to public spaces.
Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of fingering, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Must be able to perform sedentary work exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently, or constantly lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, do extensive reading, and prepare necessary reports and do research.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERTISE
Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field, and five years of relevant experience in the public sector; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, as well as experience in presenting to a variety of groups. Will be able to maintain effective working relationships; and provide outstanding customer service.
Requires a valid NC driver’s license.
If you are interested in applying for a job with the City of Southport, please submit your completed application to our Human Resources department.
Human Resources, City of Southport
1029 N. Howe Street
Southport, NC 28461
Or, email your completed application to [email protected]