Most “This is Our Town” volunteers engage in projects around town. From about 9-noon, volunteers work on sprucing up public parks, cemeteries, and flowerbeds.
In addition, the committee has initiated projects you may have enjoyed in your travels about town:
- Holiday Tree Lighting Festival in Franklin Square Park
- Sailboat wreathes lining downtown streets during December and January
- Pollinator Garden at Lowe-White Park on Leonard Street “A Haven for Bee’s, Butterflies and Birds”
- Live Oak patios on Moore Street
- Stained benches and swings at the waterfront, Keziah Park on Moore Street, and Caviness Park on Owens Street and repainted visitor signs around town.
- Landscaping at the Roundabout.
Beautification volunteers also partner with local organizations, adding extra hands for their projects:
- Southport Historical Society: Workday at Old Smithville Burying Ground
- City of Southport: Southport Day of Service – to learn more, please click here.
Southport Beautification Committee
Officer Nominating Slate 2021-2022
Chair Lynne Geiman
Vice Chair Rob Thatcher
Secretary Karen Pasquale
Get on the email list and join forces with Southport’s volunteer army!
Call Lynne Geiman, 973-356-7081 or [email protected]
Southport Beautification Committee Members, July 2022 – June 2023
Members are appointed for two-year terms.
|Lynne Geiman, Chair||July 2022||2 years||June 2024|
|Rob Thatcher, Vice Chair||July 2022||2 years||June 2024|
|Karen Pasquale, Secretary||July 2022||2 years||June 2024|
|Scott Bushman||July 2022||2 years||June 2024|
|Sharon Lightbourne||July 2021||2 years||June 2023|
|Margaret Fontaine||July 2021||2 years||June 2023|
|Ken Geiman||July 2022||2 years||June 2024|
|Larry Ashley||June 2021||2 years||June 2023|
|Joe Fikentscher||July 2021||2 years||June 2023|
|Tom Lombardi, Board Liaison|
|Dorothy “Dorrie” Dutton, Assistant City Manager/City Clerk||(910) 457-7900 Ext. 1010 Please contact if you have any questions or need to speak to a member of the Beautification Committee|
BY-LAWS: SOUTHPORT BEAUTIFICATION COMMITTEE
Amended January 18, 2021
ARTICLE 1 – Name
The name of this Committee shall be the Southport Beautification Committee.
ARTICLE 2 – Object
The object of the Committee shall be to review and recommend action on public beautification projects, in general, and to maintain specific public areas exclusively, including weeding, planting, mulching, pruning, and, in some cases, painting and staining.
ARTICLE 3 – Members
Section 1. The membership of the Committee will be limited to nine (9) persons.
Section 2. All members shall be residents of the greater Southport area, as designated by zip code 28461. Minimum six (6) members shall live within the legal city limits.
Section 3. There shall be an Alderman assigned to the Committee to act as liaison between the Committee and the Board of Aldermen and shall be entitled to all privileges except those of making a motion, voting, or holding office.
Section 4. Members shall serve a two-year term beginning in July, with terms to be staggered so that about half the Committee remains intact each year.
Section 5. Acceptance of an appointment to this Committee signifies an obligation of the appointee. It is the duty of each member to attend every meeting unless prevented by sickness or grave emergency: If a member misses three regular meetings without an excuse (which to the Committee seems adequate) the Committee shall request the resignation of said member.
Section 6. Any member desiring to resign from the Committee shall submit his/her resignation in writing to the Secretary.
Section 7. Applications will be submitted to the City Clerk by May 31 of each year when full-term vacancies are scheduled; or by the end of a 30-day application period, when mid-term vacancies occur. Prospective applicants will be interviewed by the Chair and the Board of Aldermen Liaison, who will recommend the best candidate(s) to the Board of Aldermen by the next regularly scheduled legislative session. The Board of Aldermen will appoint the committee member(s) from the pool of all prospective applicants.
ARTICLE 4 – Officers
Section 1. The officers of the Committee shall be Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer. These officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these by-laws.
Section 2. These officers shall be nominated and elected by the Committee during the first meeting of a new term, normally July. When a mid-term vacancy of an officer occurs, the Committee will nominate and elect a replacement within 60 days.
Section 3. Duties:
- The Chair shall issue an agenda prior to each meeting, shall preside at all meetings, sign all official papers, call special meetings as necessary, approve all expense reimbursements in advance of individual outlay, and perform all such duties usually bestowed upon a chairman.
- The Vice-Chair shall serve in the absence of the Chair.
- The Secretary shall maintain and publish complete minutes of each meeting, be responsible for all Committee correspondence, and keep and maintain a membership attendance record.
- The Treasurer shall maintain and publish a financial report at each meeting, which keeps track of expenses incurred and budgeted funds remaining to spend, and be responsible for submitting check requests to the City Finance Director for individual reimbursement of approved expenses incurred.
ARTICLE 5 – Meetings
Section 1. The regular meeting of the committee shall be held on the third (3rd) Monday of each month.
Section 2. Special meetings shall be called by the Chair and the purpose of the meeting shall be stated in the call and given at least three (3) days prior to the meeting date.
Section 3. One more than half of all appointed members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum. At the discretion of the Chair, a meeting may proceed with less than a quorum, in order to conduct routine matters.
Section 4. The order of business at the meetings shall be as follows:
- Determination of a quorum
- Call to order by the Chair
- Approval of minutes of the previous meeting
- Report of standing or special committees
- Old business
- New business
ARTICLE 6 – Committees
Standing or special committees shall be appointed by the Chair when deemed necessary to carry on the work of the Committee.
ARTICLE 7 – Amendment
These By-Laws may be amended at any regular meeting of the committee by a simple majority vote, provided the amendment has been submitted in writing at a previous regular meeting.