CITY OF SOUTHPORT
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS
February 11, 2020
The City of Southport requests a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) from qualified engineering
firms for the professional services associated with the planning, design and construction of a
sewer system replacement project.
Services will include, but not be limited to, design of approximately 6,300 LF of 8” and 10” gravity
sewer line to replace clay pipe, obtaining necessary permits and approvals, bidding and
Firms interested in being considered for this work should submit their qualifications to:
Public Works Director
1029 N. Howe Street
Southport, NC 28461
For consideration, 8 copies of the response to this request for proposal must be submitted to
David Fox by 5:00 PM on February 18, 2020.
SOQ Organization: To facilitate the City’s objective review of the SOQs from different
Consultants, the Consultants are requested to organize the main document using a standardized
format. Each SOQ should contain the following:
- A cover letter on company letterhead signed by a Principal or other member of the firm
authorized to commit the firm to contract for professional services.
- Table of Contents, with page numbers
- Information on the following topics:
- Executive Summary: Should address the highlights of the SOQ, along with the strengths
and special expertise of the firm and the associated team to successfully accomplish the
objectives of the City.
- Statement of Qualifications: Identify and describe the qualifications of the firm and
professional services that may be provided by the consultant in response to this Request.
Also include information on any proposed sub-consultants.
- Project Team & Project Management: Please identify the proposed project team
(including any subconsultants) and key personnel for the successful completion of
projects in partnership with the City. Please include an organizational chart and brief
resumes of the project team members. Also, please identify the project manager or
primary contact and any other team leaders proposed, and briefly describe how projects
will be successfully managed. It is expected that the team members proposed in the SOQ
will be the ones that will actually work on projects for the City. Describe the planned and
envisioned workload of the proposed team members for the timeframe of this contract
and verify that proposed staff will be prepared for timely completion of projects under a
potential contractual agreement with the City. Also describe your quality assurance /
quality control methods.
- Schedule: Please note this project is in a downtown area of the City of Southport along
Howe Street. Construction will need to be begin in September 2020 and be completed
before the end of April 2021 due to the seasonal increase in tourism and traffic. Provide
a proposed schedule to meet this construction timeline based on an engineering contract
award on March 16, 2020. Proposed schedule should include Design, Permitting,
Advertise and Bid project, Recommendation of Award and Notice to Proceed, and
- References: Please provide the name, telephone number, email and physical address of at least three references in organizations within North Carolina for whom your firm provided similar professional services and whom the City of Southport may contact
regarding your firm’s performance on their projects.
Selection of consultants will be made based upon the qualifications of the firm and ability
to meet the project schedule when presented.
Qualification statements will be evaluated by a selection committee on the following basis
for the project under consideration:
- Firm Experience and Capability – Firms will be evaluated with respect to their experience with
projects similar in size and scope.
- Qualifications of Design Team – Firms will be evaluated on the qualifications and experience of
the firm’s proposed project team.
- Project Approach – Firms will be evaluated on the overall understanding of the project and their
technical approach to meeting the project objectives and project schedule.
If the Consultant wishes to submit additional information in support of or to strengthen
the SOQ, such information may be submitted separately in Appendices. SOQs must be
limited to no more than 25 numbered pages, excluding the cover page, cover letter,
table of contents, resumes, and section dividers.
The City of Southport reserves the right to select the firm that best meets its needs and
negotiate a final Scope of Work that reflects the work to be done within the time and
constraints established in the above Schedule. Based upon the number of proposals
received, the City may subsequently request oral presentations as a part of the selection
process. All firms submitting a proposal will receive notification once the contract has